24 September 2008

"Quality Craftsmanship"

So, I was wandering through The Bay (Canadian department store) a few days ago, and what should catch my eye but this lovely set: Of course, I had to take a closer look, what with my teaware addiction (see previous post). 

The set came packaged in a pretty box, emblazoned with this label: "Celebrating a Century of English Craftsmanship." 

Awesome, I thought to myself--I'm a fan of English craftsmanship! Turning over the box to check out the price, thrilled to have found THE perfect teacup, I was aghast to see that 100 years also meant $100. Extravagant even for me, 

I was still considering it (I had a gift card) when I noticed the small print: Made in Indonesia. 

I put the box down and walked away. So much for that fine English craftsmanship. I hate to think what they paid the person who made that $100 teacup. Instead of tea, I ended up with a cup of irony. Tea tastes better. 

 PS: The really sad thing is, I just noticed on the company's website that this cup is out of stock. Guess irony's a big seller.

(Edited for spelling and clarity. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com)

No comments: