20 February 2009

Seedy Business

 

It's almost that time of the year, when gardens need to be planned and seeds started. Still a little early in these parts for the seed starting, unless you want freakishly tall and skinny seedlings (trust me--you don't). It is, however, a great time to start buying seeds. I actually prefer plants: they don't take as long to get established and I don't have to worry about finding space for trays of potential seedlings (some of which, frustratingly, never materialize). Also, with seeds, you always get way more than you need (or can give away) and it just feels wasteful. It's far too early to buy plants, though. 

 I've been perusing the catalogues lately. As usual, I find I'm interested in way more than I can find room for:  

Veggies  

Peppers, Big Chili Hybrid 

Peppers, Gypsy Hybrid 

 Peppers, Tajan Hybrid 

Sorrel, Profusion  

Tomato, Old German (heirloom) 

Tomato, Red Currant 'Organic' 

Tomato, Sweetie 

Flowers  

Aquilegia, Miss MI Huish 

California Poppy, Rosa Romantica 

California Poppy, Thai Silk Formula Mix  

Hollyhock, Jet Black 

Hollyhock, Queeny Purple 

Nasturtium, Cherry Rose 

Nasturtium, Dwarf Jewel 

Ornamental Pepper, Black Pearl 

Poppy, Double Shirley Mix 

Poppy, Mother of Pearl  

Herbs 

Basil, Oriental Breeze 

Mint, Cotton Candy 

(Also considering Improved Spearmint, Peppermint, Jim's Fruit Mint, Fruit Sensations Mint, Sweet Pear Mint, and Wintergreen Mint)  

Thyme, Rose Petal  

Houseplants  

Fig, Hardy Chicago 

Geranium (Pelargonium), Lemon Sculpture 

I might get most of these or only some. I might even get none if I pay a visit to the garden centre first and get inspired by all the exciting options I find there. I would love to get more roses, but that would involve putting in more beds and ultimately more work. I'm really trying to keep things under control this time. No, really. If I had the winning lottery ticket, why do I get the feeling that bookstores and garden centres would be the real winners?

(Edited for clarity, to remove dead links, and to update the title. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com)

No comments: