26 August 2010

Hot Mormon Muffins: August Edition

August has been a stressful month for me, so I was glad to finally have an opportunity to take a break and make some muffins. Hot Mormon muffins! Specifically "Latter-Day Lemon," presented by Yayoi, mother of 2 and looking good at 53. Click photos to enlarge.

The necessities:

I grew up in a house with no food processor, but with a beloved and much-used mortar and pestle. I still like to use mine (I have three) for small quantities or or when I want to get a little more interactive with my ingredients. There's something enticingly primal about crushing food with your hands and a blunt instrument! In this case I couldn't find any pre-chopped almonds, so I bought the slivered variety and broke them into smaller pieces.

Nutmeg and flour:

Lemon zest and sugar:

Free-range (and organic) eggs always have such richly coloured yolks. How eggs should be.

Fresh out of the oven:


Looks good enough to eat!

Yayoi's Latter-Day Lemon Muffins

[My notes/changes in brackets. Also, the instructions left much to be desired, so I've rewritten them.]

[Topping]
6 tbs chopped almonds
3 tbs sugar

Muffin
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups [all-purpose] flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 cup [granulated] sugar
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
2 eggs [slightly beaten]
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
3 tbs lemon juice

[The original instructions basically said to dump everything into the bowl all at once and mix. You can try that but I don't recommend it.]

In a small bowl mix chopped almonds and 3 tbs sugar. Set aside.

In a large bowl thoroughly combine flour, nutmeg, and baking powder.

In a medium bowl mix together until combined 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest, eggs, oil, milk, and lemon juice. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Spoon into prepared muffin cups (greased/lined). Sprinkle reserved almond-sugar mixture (about 1 tsp per muffin) on top. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins

My verdict: This recipe makes smallish, dense muffins with a light, fresh lemon flavour well-complemented by the almonds and nutmeg.

If you like a stronger lemon flavour, you might want to add a bit of lemon extract (maybe 1/4 tsp).

If you're not a big fan of nutmeg, use half as much or switch to cinnamon instead.

Although the topping is nice and crunchy, I think it could use another element. Next time I'll try mixing the nuts and sugar with 2-3 tbs of melted butter. You can never go wrong with butter!

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January (Lisa's Priesthood Praline)
February (Amy's Relief Society Raspberry)
March (Kourtnie's Mormon Marmalade)
April (Charli's Seminary Streusel)
May (Tami's Zesty Zion Zucchini)
June (Lynda's Seven Wives Grain)
July (Cami's Bring'em Young Blueberry)

Photos by Domicile

No comments: