26 August 2010

Hot Muffins: August Edition (Lemon Muffins Recipe)

August has been a stressful month for me, so I was glad to finally have an opportunity to take a break and make some muffins. Hot Mormon muffins! Specifically "Latter-Day Lemon," presented by Yayoi, mother of 2 and looking good at 53. Click photos to enlarge. 

The necessities: I grew up in a house with no food processor, but with a beloved and much-used mortar and pestle. I still like to use mine (I have three) for small quantities or when I want to get a little more interactive with my ingredients. There's something enticingly primal about crushing food with your hands and a blunt instrument! In this case I couldn't find any pre-chopped almonds, so I bought the slivered variety and broke them into smaller pieces.

  

Nutmeg and flour:  

Lemon zest and sugar:  

Free-range (and organic) eggs always have such richly coloured yolks. How eggs should be.

  

Fresh out of the oven:  

Looks good enough to eat!

  

Yayoi's Latter-Day Lemon Muffins 

[My notes/changes in brackets. Also, the instructions left much to be desired, so I've rewritten them.]

[Topping] 

6 tbs chopped almonds 

3 tbs sugar 

Muffin 

1 tsp nutmeg 

2 cups [all-purpose] flour 

1 tbs baking powder 

1/2 cup [granulated] sugar 

1/4 tsp grated lemon zest 

2 eggs [slightly beaten] 

1/2 cup vegetable oil 

1/3 cup milk 

3 tbs lemon juice 

[The original instructions basically said to dump everything into the bowl all at once and mix. You can try that but I don't recommend it. Instead:] 

In a small bowl mix chopped almonds and 3 tbs sugar. Set aside. 

In a large bowl thoroughly combine flour, nutmeg, and baking powder. In a medium bowl mix together until combined 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest, eggs, oil, milk, and lemon juice. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. 

Spoon into prepared muffin cups (greased/lined). Sprinkle reserved almond-sugar mixture (about 1 tsp per muffin) on top. 

Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes. 

Makes 12 muffins 

My verdict: This recipe makes smallish, dense muffins with a light, fresh lemon flavour well-complemented by the almonds and nutmeg. If you like a stronger lemon flavour, you might want to add a bit of lemon extract (maybe 1/4 tsp). If you're not a big fan of nutmeg, use half as much or switch to cinnamon instead. Although the topping is nice and crunchy, I think it could use another element. Next time I'll try mixing the nuts and sugar with 2-3 tbs of melted butter. You can never go wrong with butter! 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins 

April: Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins

May: Zesty Zucchini Muffins 

June: Seven Grains Muffins 

July: Blueberry Muffins

 

Photos by Whimsy Bower

[Edited to update title, links, and for formatting. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com]

No comments: