30 September 2010

Hot Mormon Muffins: September Edition

This has been a weird September, so it's only fitting that this month's muffin is also weird. So weird, it's not even a muffin! For anyone who avoids gluten (or just likes sticky, chocolaty treats), Miriam's Missionary Meringue will be right up your alley. Props go to 38-year old Miriam, mom of "2 +2," whatever that means. Click on photos to enlarge.

Making these meringues started off well enough, with a minimum of ingredients:

But my first inkling that there was trouble ahead came when I broke two of the yolks when I was separating the eggs (managing to squirt egg white across the stove as I tried to crack open one of them). I never break the yolks. But at least none ended up in the whites:

The KitchenAid was so quick at whipping the eggs that I barely had time to get any photos before they turned from liquid to solid-ish. And then I messed up again--I jumped the gun, adding the sugar and cocoa before the white were completely stiff. I was sure they were ruined. But hey, this is my first ever attempt at meringues--what do I know?--so I forged ahead.


I have no idea what meringue batter is supposed to look like, but I don't think it's this:

I forgot to take pre-oven photos, but they looked pretty sad and liquidy in the muffin cups. So I was amazed when the hour was up and I pulled these out of the oven (check out the one that's just about popping out of the cup on its own):

They crumble pretty easily, but they sure do look pretty on the plate! The geranium flower and lavender stalk are from my garden:



(PS--I finally figured out my camera has a "food" setting, and this is the first time I used it. I'm pretty pleased with the results.)

Miriam's Missionary Meringue (Gluten Free)

[My notes/changes in brackets.]

3 egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup [granulated] sugar
5 tbs cocoa [powder, unsweetened]

Beat egg whites until stiff, then gradually add sugar and cocoa [I wasn't sure if the sugar and cocoa should be folded in or what, so I just lowered the speed on the mixer about two notches as I added them.] Butter your muffin tin thoroughly and fill 3/4 full with meringue. Put in a cold oven and turn the heat to 250F. Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.

Run a sharp knife around the muffins and turn out. Tops should be crisp, bottoms chewy. Cut off the tops of each muffin and fill with ice cream, fruit, or whipped cream. [I wouldn't bother cutting off the tops--there's a natural indentation anyway, and the tops are crunchy and tasty.]

Makes 12 "muffins"

My verdict:

*I love these! They're super easy to make; despite my worries they turned out perfectly. They're also delicious. The chewy bottoms aren't so much muffin-like as marshmallow-like, but I don't have any problem with that. In fact, if I let myself, I could probably polish off all 12 of them in one sitting. Alas, my self-control is firmly in place.

*If you pay extra attention to buttering the rims of the muffin cups, you'll probably have less sticking and crumbling than I did (although they still came off the sides easily).

*The recipe does not make enough to fill the cups 3/4 full--more like half.

*These meringues are definitely reminiscent of brownies, so I think they'd be perfect served with vanilla ice cream (or maybe unsweetened whipped cream). If you really want to go over the top, serve with ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January (Lisa's Priesthood Praline)
February (Amy's Relief Society Raspberry)
March (Kourtnie's Mormon Marmalade)
April (Charli's Seminary Streusel)
May (Tami's Zesty Zion Zucchini)
June (Lynda's Seven Wives Grain)
July (Cami's Bring'em Young Blueberry)
August (Yayoi's Latter-Day Lemon)

Photos by Domicile

No comments: