30 December 2010

Hot Muffins: Final Edition (Cinnamon Muffins Recipe)

It's hard to believe another year is drawing to a close and this is the last Hot Mormon Muffins post. What started out as a tongue-in-cheek response to a somewhat confounding gift ended up being a delicious bit of fun. I'm going to miss my Mormon Muffins. But not to worry--I enjoyed having a monthly baking project so much that I've chosen another project for 2011: Martha Stewart Living's "15 Years of Delicious Desserts" (as chosen by MSL readers in the February 2006 issue). I decided on this particular project simply because the recipes look mouth watering and I know a few are going to be challenging (in a good way). I hope you enjoy 2011's project baking as much as I think I'm going to (and maybe you'll even be inspired to try some of the recipes out for yourself). In the meantime, enjoy the last of the Mormon Muffins: Celestial Cinnamon, bought to you by Leticia, 27, and mom of one. Click on photos to enlarge. 

The snowflake and tag came from one of my Christmas gifts. I thought it was appropriate:

  

The essentials:  

About to mix the egg, butter, and sugar:

  

Wet ingredients, together at last:

  

Dry goods:  

The batter (note: it's not perfectly mixed, so as not to overwork it):

  

Getting ready to go into the oven (I never realized how messy I am when I put the batter into the pan!):

  

They look pretty good, don't they?: 

  

But they look even better after being dipped in butter and cinnamon-sugar!: 

  

Ready to eat and all dolled up: 

  Leticia's Celestial Cinnamon 

[My notes/changes in brackets] 

Muffin  

1/2 cup [unsalted] butter 

1 egg 

1 cup sugar 

1 1/2 cups [all-purpose] flour 

1 1/2 tsp baking powder 

1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp nutmeg 

1/2 cup milk 

[Preheat oven to 350F.] Mix together butter, egg, and sugar. 

[Mix together dry ingredients.] Stir dry ingredients [into wet mixture], alternating with milk. [Do not overmix.] 

Bake in greased muffin tins for 20 to 25 minutes at 350F. 

Topping  

4 tbs butter, melted 

3/4 cup [granulated] sugar [mixed with] 1 tsp cinnamon 

Dip muffin tops in butter and roll in cinnamon-sugar.  

My Verdict This is a nice muffin, although not terribly exciting. The muffin itself is fairly plain, but rich, dense and moist. The topping adds a nice sweet crunch. I think I might add a touch more nutmeg (or even some cinnamon) to the batter to combat the plainness. I'd also try using salted butter for the topping, just to see how the saltiness combines with the cinnamon-sugar. These make a good dessert muffin. 

Want more Hot Mormon Muffins (and really, who doesn't)? Check out my previous posts:

January: Easy Banana-Praline Muffins

February: Raspberry Muffins

March: Marmalade Muffins 

April: Cinnamon-Nut Streusel Muffins

May: Zesty Zucchini Muffins 

June: Seven Grains Muffins 

July: Blueberry Muffins

August: Lemon Muffins

September: Gluten-Free Meringue Muffins 

October: Pumpkin Muffins 

November: Chocolate Chip Muffins


Photos by Whimsy Bower

[Edited to update title, links, and for formatting and clarity. Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com]

No comments: