13 June 2011

Pretty in Pink

I'm way behind in the garden this year. The reason is partly due to the weather and partly due to losing my mom. She was an *amazing* gardener and it was our favourite topic to discuss and bond over. Much as I normally love being in my garden, this year it's bittersweet, heavy on the bitter. 

Two of the plants I've been neglecting are two of my mom's and my favourites: peonies and hostas. Because I didn't get around to properly supporting the peonies several branches and flowers have flopped over onto the ground. I also didn't get around to dividing the hostas so several of them are of Jurassic proportions. Since it's too late to fix either issue this year I decided to make the best of the situation by collecting hosta leaves and the floppy peony flowers into a pretty arrangement. Now the upstairs of my house smells wonderful and the flowers are a joy to look at. I think my mom would approve. (Click photos to enlarge.)

  Photos by Whimsy Bower

No comments: