16 July 2015

Paris: Part 1

While the main focus of my recent trip to France was to visit Provence and enjoy cooking lessons with Chef Gina Trevier, I couldn't return home without some time in Paris. Originally, I was only going to spend a day there, but luckily the airplane ticket turned out to be way less expensive if I stayed an extra day than if I left when I'd originally planned to. Sometimes life has a way of working out.

Paris is an amazing, beautiful and overwhelming city. I doubt anyone could ever be bored there or run out of things to see or do. On the other hand, there's so much to see and do--and so many people--it was a bit much for an anxious introvert like me (the smokers everywhere didn't help either). I will go back to Paris again, but I think it's best kept to a few days at a time.

Gare de Lyon
Gare de Lyon metro entrance

 Place de la Concorde: Absolutely stunning public space.


Lamp post detail



The Obelisk of Luxor: given to the French in 1829 by the viceroy of Egypt. It once marked the entrance to the Amon temple at Luxor, is more than 3,300 years old, and is decorated with hieroglyphics portraying the reigns of the pharaohs Ramses II and Ramses III



I've always loved the Eiffel Tower, but somehow it was even more beautiful in person.



It was nice to see the Parisian sense of humour (then again, maybe someone just really doesn't like Marseille).
The entrance to the Tuileries

The rest of the photos were taken in the Tuileries, another amazing public space. I stayed close to the Place de la Concorde entrance because I had plans to go to the Musee de l'Orangerie (more on that in the next post), but even in just that one section I was able to see flower gardens, the grand allee, and impressive works of art. 










Le Tibre, 1688-90, by Pierre Bourdict

Even the Tuileries has a lavender field



Sadly, most of the roses were finished by the time I visited, but there were still a few pretty blooms left.






Annibal ou Hannibal, 1722, by Sebastien Slodtz
Jules Cesar (Julius Caesar), 1722, by Nicolas Coustou

Pigeons showing their usual amount of respect for art
Pomone, 1696, by Francois Barois

This was a surprise discovery: Reclining Figure by Henry Moore, 1951. It was the only piece of modern art in this part of the Tuileries, and possibly the only one by a foreign artist.







Next Post: Paris Part 2

Missed one of my posts about France? 


No comments: