![]() |
| Alpine Rose |
My favourite part of my week are the walks I take on nearby trails and in parks. The Toronto and Region Conservation Authority is doing a great job maintaining the wildness of the green spaces, while also keeping them welcoming for human visitors (a little too welcoming at times, as I noticed they're encouraging golf in some spots for whatever reason). The places I visit along the Etobicoke Creek are replete with plants and wildlife. Yesterday I got to watch goldfinches feasting on thistle seeds, and spotted sandpipers strolling along the shore of a small lake. I didn't get pictures of those birds, but I do have some pictures to share that I took a little earlier in the season. Enjoy!
Look at this happy blended family!
I'm confident it's a blended family because there were more than two adults, and about half the goslings were larger than the others. I think it's sweet that geese raise their young communally.
People like to joke about how scary Canada Geese ("cobra chickens") are, but from my observations, they're cautious, not mean. If you give them their space (especially during nesting season), they'll leave you alone too. They're also really beautiful, with adorable babies. I have a whole new appreciation for them after interacting with them this past year. Canada Geese rule!
![]() |
| Solomon's Seal after rain. |
![]() |
The same plant flowering (you can spot a couple of flowers peeking out in the photo above). |
![]() |
Alpine Rose These roses grow wild around here. Sadly, they don't have much of a scent, but they do produce large hips that feed the wildlife. |
And lastly, not wild plants, but some peonies in a garden I had to share because they're just so pretty...
What plants and wildlife have you spotted lately? Share in the comments...
Cheers,
Aspasia
PS: Follow me on my official site: AspasiaSBissas.com.
All photos by Whimsy Bower/Aspasia S. Bissas.
My Books
(Links take you to all available stores. Love Lies Bleeding and Bleeding Heart are also available in paperback.)













No comments:
Post a Comment